April Launch!

The weather forecast looks good for our 4/17 launch. A bit cool, but very little wind, and nearly zero chance of rain. We will be there to set up at 10:00, and flying by 11:00.

Bring your rockets and fly with us! We’ll have all the launch equipment needed, and can probably even provide motors if you need them. We can help you get started in this great hobby, or re-enter it if you haven’t launched a rocket in a while.

CORSA members will be competing to see who can squeeze the most altitude out of a 1″ diameter rocket with a B6-4 motor. Watch, and learn their techniques!

See you there!

March 2021 Launch Report

Our March launch was fantastic! The weather was near perfect – winds aloft were negligible when we started, but picked up a little as the day continued. We had a great turnout, with many visitors, and we had a great time!

Motor Impulse used:
1/2A 1
A 12
B 19
C 9
D 7
E 2

There were a few interesting payloads, including Moana, some altimeters, and some cameras. The cameras were the new Estes AstroCam. Unfortunately, my luck with camera payloads continues, as my camera launches failed to record. I’m hoping that John’s video came out…

COVID-19 Response

For the foreseeable future, our meetings will be held online. Please email us if you want to participate!
For the time being, our launches will be controlled events. Public participation is not being invited, and if visitors attend, they will be asked to remain away from the prep/launch activity areas. There should still be adequate accommodations to watch some launches though!

Participants will be required to wear face masks when in proximity to each other, and good sanitation procedures will be practiced.

Stay healthy!

CORSA Friends Mailing List

Join the CORSA Friends mailing list

Subscribe to the CORSA Friends email list and keep up to date with CORSA launches and meetings.

Your E-mail address:
Your Name (optional):

You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild security, but should prevent others from messing with your subscription. Do not use a valuable password as it will occasionally be emailed back to you in cleartext. If you choose not to enter a password, one will be automatically generated for you, and it will be sent to you once you’ve confirmed your subscription. You can always request a mail-back of your password when you edit your personal options.

Password choice:
Confirm Password:

Rainy Day Launches

The September CORSA launch forecast was pretty good. But as soon as we got the launch site set up, the skies opened with rain. We took shelter in our tent, talked rockets, and watched the skies. After about an hour, our hopes were fading. But the rain did ease, and we thought we might at least get a few launches off before we succumbed. We quickly prepped and flew a few rockets during what looked like it would be a brief lull. But the rain didn’t start again. We didn’t have a huge turnout, but we had a great day.

Our next launch was a special launch. Cub Scout Pack 701 joined us on a day whose forecast was pretty marginal. We hoped for the best, and set up our launch site. We got rained on a few times – but we protected out gear and rocket fleets. The Scouts and their families had a great spirit, undamped by the rain, and patiently waited out a few interruptions. It paid off big time; we launched 65 times!

Thank you Pack 701 – we had a great day working with you!

Imagination

This comic summarizes CORSA’s mission:
https://www.gocomics.com/redandrover/2018/02/04
The 1960s Space Race to the moon inspired me, and the other CORSA members old enough to have seen those amazing missions, to pursue science and engineering, at least as hobbies. Every rocket launch that we attend brings back at least a touch of that thrill that we got watching Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walk on the moon. How can that be 50 years ago?!

Launch Weather

Ohio weather has been unkind to us of late. I hope I’m not the only one who is frustrated with scrubbed launches – CORSA makes every effort to keep our launches safe!
We’ll scrub a launch if the weather would make it unsafe to be outdoors in a open field, though we do have and use a lightning detector, which gives advance warning of storms moving in. We won’t launch if the field is too muddy to set up without damaging the site.
We’ll also scrub if the weather would not comply with the NAR safety code. At Freedom Park, we don’t have a lot of room, so if winds are predicted to be consistently near the 20 MPH NAR limit, we’ll likely cancel the launch.
We can withstand a little rainfall or snowfall, but not steady precipitation.

Come out and launch with us!